Thread Rating:
  • 153 Vote(s) - 2.18 Average
Door opens & closes a small way
Hi.
I have a Wickes chain driven type 1 (ie with limit switch assembly) garage door opener I fitted nearly 20years ago. When it recently jammed and then made horrible noises and stopped working I didn't expect to be able to get parts for such an old system. I took it apart and found that the nylon gear wheel teeth were stripped off and the case was filled with nylon shrapnel. I surprisingly easily got a replacement gearwheel and fitted it. I put it up and tested it. But the trolley moved only about a foot then reversed a little way then stopped. Every time I tried it, it did the same. This was with the door disconnected so there was little resistance to trolley movement. I tried adjusting the up and down travel limits and the up & down force, but it made no difference. I took the unit down and opened it up and thinking maybe the mechanism was sensing a resistance such as a stuck door I disconnected the 90deg drive from the main gear wheel to the 2 screw driven limit switches. This made no difference, so I completely removed the drive to the sprocket including the gearwheel that meshes with the worm and this made no difference. So what is causing the motor to rotate a few turns then reverse and stop after a few more turns? Many thanks for a clue or any help in getting this going. John
(16-07-2014, 12:30 PM)jbw Wrote: Hi.
I have a Wickes chain driven type 1 (ie with limit switch assembly) garage door opener I fitted nearly 20years ago. When it recently jammed and then made horrible noises and stopped working I didn't expect to be able to get parts for such an old system. I took it apart and found that the nylon gear wheel teeth were stripped off and the case was filled with nylon shrapnel. I surprisingly easily got a replacement gearwheel and fitted it. I put it up and tested it. But the trolley moved only about a foot then reversed a little way then stopped. Every time I tried it, it did the same. This was with the door disconnected so there was little resistance to trolley movement. I tried adjusting the up and down travel limits and the up & down force, but it made no difference. I took the unit down and opened it up and thinking maybe the mechanism was sensing a resistance such as a stuck door I disconnected the 90deg drive from the main gear wheel to the 2 screw driven limit switches. This made no difference, so I completely removed the drive to the sprocket including the gearwheel that meshes with the worm and this made no difference. So what is causing the motor to rotate a few turns then reverse and stop after a few more turns? Many thanks for a clue or any help in getting this going. John

John, I know this is nearly two years later but I have exactly the same problem! Do you have a solution you can share at all please? It's so frustrating. Any help would be appreciated - in fact from anyone. Thanks Alison

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BFT garage door not opening Harry90 0 12,159 30-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Harry90
  chamberlain garage door remote identification JES 0 23,232 26-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Last Post: JES
  Chamberlain Evolution not successfully opening door Rephlex 2 23,309 17-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Rephlex